Friday 4 January 2013

Back To Johnny's

Chopaholic writes -

So I had promised a friend that we'd go together to Johnny Rockets. Honest, that's the only reason that I went back there. Well that and their Oreo Cookie milkshake, or should I say Bluebunny ice cream shake. Again the lot was full with cars but the restaurant wasn't. I don't think they'll ever be able to fill those seats unless their customers come in buses instead of the jeeps and saloon cars that often have one or two people in them.

Anyways, back to the experience. So since I was back there, I thought that I should try their basic cheese burger to get a better feel for the quality of their food, and not some exotic variant. My pal had a chicken and barbecue toastie with BBQ sauce on the side. Now lets start with that. The sandwich looked very local, and I mean that in the Nigerian sense of the word. The bread was not the finest Lagos had to offer, and the presentation was more home made whilst rushing to catch the start of a football match than restaurant standard. The bacon was actually quite nice but the chicken was tasteless. Dipping it into the BBQ sauce helped some but in the end the meal was abandoned as it was not worth the calories. Indeed it was this same BBQ sauce that saved my cheese burger which would have been pretty bland otherwise. It didn't leave me licking my lips like a $15 burger I bought in a restaurant and not off hotel room service should. We shared the medium portion of chips which was alright but at $4? Crazy!

The drinks order was also quite an unnecessary production. We asked for a kids size strawberry milkshake ( a great way to save money on takeaways by the way) and a regular size Oreo cookie shake with malt. The lady brought us a kid size Oreo, so we told her to bring a same size strawberry shake. To my dismay it wasn't anywhere as thick as the first time and if this had been my first experience I would not have been so keen to come back.

At some point during the meal, the music was cranked up and all the staff came out to perform a rehearsed routine to Aretha Franklin's 'Respect'. I wish I could tell you how it was but after 10 seconds I couldn't bear to look. Like the waitress who drew a smiley face with ketchup in a bowl for us it was clear their hearts were not in it.

So all in all, nice decor, but too expensive, inconsistent and the food isn't really that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment